Ghost Extends Streak As Flyers Fall To Rangers

Just 59 seconds into the game, four players found themselves in the Sin Bin (Simmonds, White, Mcllrath, and Glass) with 5 minute majors for fighting. Shortly after, coincidental minors handed out to Zuccarello and VandeVelde, both for crosschecking. All this before even the first commercial break!

During the first period, the Flyers had an early opportunity thanks to a Mats Zuccarello high sticking penalty. The Flyers managed possession of the puck in the New York Rangers zone for just under 2 minutes while on the 4-minute power play which resulted in no goals. The first period saw a total of 32 penalty minutes. Emotions were high from last Saturday’s game as a result of Wayne Simmonds “intent to injure” penalty on Ryan McDonagh. It was clear the Rangers had not forgotten about the recent hit, mainly due to the fact Rangers head coach, Alain Vigneault, continued to voice his opinion on the hit and the NHL’s lack of discipline on Wayne Simmonds through out the week leading up to the game. Our thought on Vigneault’s comments are linked below incase you missed it:

Vigneault’s Rant Is Unjustified

The Rangers would strike first Sunday. Derick Brassard found the net with 14:52 left in the first period, with a wrap around beating Steve Mason, who could not move from his right to left quick enough to get to the post. This was the only speed bump in an otherwise even period for both teams. The Flyers and Rangers were deadlocked at 9 shots each after the first period.

The second period was a true “pitchers battle” between Lundqvist and Mason as the two combined for 17 saves, however, it was quality not quantity that made all 17 impressive.




Philly fans seemed to agree Steve mason was having a rather impressive game for the goalie who some may not consider to be the starter of the team.

The second period did not see any fights compared to the first period’s two, despite being just as physical. At the end of the second period the hit total for the two teams was at 40.

The third period began with much of the same, a physical and defensive first ten minutes. The Flyers did not get their first shot on goal in the third period until 8 minutes in. The Rangers defense was impressive, jumping in front of everything the Flyers sent their way. The Flyers looked sloppy with their passes, carelessly giving the puck away in the neutral zone, which would lead to the second goal for the Rangers. A defensive zone turnover found both Flyers’ defensemen stepping to defend Zuccarello, while Derek Stepan snuck in behind and collected a lucky blind pass from Zuccarello and placed it into the wide-open net. It proceeded to get worse from there for the boys in orange as Stepan buried his second goal of the game, 12th on the season, to all but seal the win for New York. Dave Hakstol elected to pull Mason for the extra attacker with 4:30 left in the game.

Another tough but disappointing weekend comes to an end for the Flyers…on the bright side Gostisbehere extended his point streak to 12 games after getting an assist on Brayden Schenn’s last minute goal to spoil Lundqvist’s shutout.

Overall feeling after the game:

The Flyers play in New Jersey on Tuesday night in hopes to start off the new week strong.

You can follow William Squares on Twitter